Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and that means it’s time to start planning for the big day. If you’re anything like us, you’re likely not looking forward to a slightly cheesy and overpriced dinner at a crowded restaurant, right? This year, avoid the classic dinner and movie combo and instead, do something unexpected that is still romantic and special. Our contributor, Joana Ferreira, is here today with 14 unexpected date ideas for Valentine’s Day that are far from cliché.
- Go on a staycation: Play tourist in your own town and make a hotel reservation for the night. It’s OK to splurge every once in a while.
- Movie night at home: Create a private movie theater at home with a projector and binge-watch your favorite movies together. Don’t forget the popcorn and wine! Check out these setups for inspiration and make sure to check out our favorite date night movies to watch at home.
- Go ice skating: How many times did you see this date idea in a rom-com? It might be time to recreate it this Valentine’s Day! Then you can finish off the date with a hot drink.
- Go dancing: Take a fun dancing class such as salsa or tango and learn some new dance moves.
- Recreate your first date: This Valentine’s Day date idea will work better if you’ve been together for a long time. How fun will it be to go back to where it all started?
- Take a cooking class: They say cooking is a way to the heart, right?
- Host a game night for two: Pull out your favorite board games for a friendly night of competition.
- Go on a hiking date: If you’re both morning people, take an early morning hike to watch the sunrise. I promise it’s worth it!
- Volunteer: Sign up to volunteer at a dog shelter or at a soup kitchen and spend a few hours helping others.
- Check out a museum: What’s more unexpected than a Valentine’s Day date at a museum?
- Go to an amusement park: Fun is guaranteed!
- Grab your favorite takeout and drive to the beach: You can still eat your favorite food and avoid the crowded restaurants. If it’s not too cold, you can even have a sunset picnic.
- Go wine tasting: Or if you don’t want to go somewhere fancy for a wine tasting, you can even do it at home. If you’re doing a tasting at home, we recommend trying our favorite budget-friendly wines.
- Make a fancy dinner at home: Instead of going out to a crowded restaurant, cook a fancy meal together at home. Take a look at 10 Date Night Meals To Make At Home and Valentine’s Day Dinners To Make At Home for some inspiration.
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox.