Paris. The City of Light. The place that has a je ne sais quoi all its own. It has been the location of many a love story, a couture catwalk and, of course, an escape from any non-French real life. It’s a dream vacation for many, but not all of us have the budget to take a jaunt across the pond. So, if you need to get your Paris fix, but your wallet can’t support a plane ticket right now, use some of these simple ideas from our contributor, Kaleigh Glaza, to create your very own Parisian getaway…right from your own living room.
Get Your (French Lady) Game Face On
Aside from the obvious French beauty choices from brands like Dior and Lancôme, there are also tons of French beauty brands that you can easily get your hands on in the U.S. Having a Parisian spa night (by yourself or with friends) will be just the pick-me-up you need on a Sunday night. Some of our favorite brands and products are:
- Le Petit Marseillais body washes, especially the White Peach & Nectarine! This whole line focuses on “sun-kissed ingredients” you will love.
- La Roche-Posay. Anything from La Roche-Posay. No matter what your skin needs, the brand has you covered and will get you ready for that springtime “no-makeup makeup” look.
- L’Occitane Aqua Reotier Ultra Thirst-Quenching Gel Moisturizer is a new addition to the brand’s portfolio and it is seriously cooling and relaxing!
- Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse Multi-Purpose Dry Oil can be ordered on Amazon and can be used everywhere from your face to body to hair. All the wins!
- Caudalie nighttime treatments. Go to bed American and wake up with that Parisian je ne sais quoi!
You can also see brands to pick up next time you’re in Paris thanks to Jacey Duprie of Damsel in Dior here! Some of them are also available stateside, too.
Cook Up a Parisian Experience
There are plenty of photos of French wine and cheese to drool over on social media, but this is the easiest way to get a taste of Paris in your own home. Invite your girlfriends over, but first, ask them for their favorite wine! Then, use this simple pairing infographic to pick up the French cheese that pairs with it best.
If you want to cook up a classic French dish that won’t take all day (and tastes BOMB), may we introduce the Croque Monsieur? Butter, cheese, fresh ham and all kinds of gooey goodness await! Or, make it a Croque Madame by topping the sandwich with a fried egg. Either way, it’s the perfect comfort food.
Daydream About Your Dream
Thanks to movies, TV shows and social media, there are plenty of ways to take a virtual trip to Paris. Sure, we all remember when Carrie frolicked there with The Russian (yuck) or when little Amélie had an adorable search for love. But there are also some other entertainment options you can check out on your next night in.
- Movies: “Moulin Rouge” for a girls’ night sing-along, “Midnight in Paris” or “Paris, Je T’Aime” for any Francophile and “Ratatouille” to stay in touch with your childhood.
- Book: Hands down, every woman should read How to Be Parisian Wherever You Are: Love, Style, and Bad Habits and read it with a highlighter. This is a perfect book to keep in your purse for long waits at the doctor’s, pick up when you’ve hit a creative block at work or just to browse through for the 50th time before bed.
- Instagram Accounts:
Get Emotional and Buy a Ticket
Technically, this shouldn’t be a part of this experiment, but (let’s be honest) it will probably happen anyway. The pull of Paris is real, the love for Paris is deep and there’s not a woman out there who wouldn’t love to live the way we think French women do. So, if none of these tricks are enough, just go ahead and book the dang ticket girl!
We’ll meet you under the Eiffel Tower.
Shop This Story: