My name is Samantha, and I make hasty decisions. Whether it has been a breakup, a new job or just a bad night’s sleep, I tend to act spontaneously without thinking things through. This has resulted in a few different things, mostly a random assortment of tattoos. But my biggest hasty decision when I feel the need to shake things up is chopping my bangs. Feeling bored? Bangs. Bummed on a friend? Bangs. Had a bad day at work? Bangs. Cutting my bangs had become a metaphor for needing a quick change when feeling out of control of my surroundings. Maybe you have a different rash decision when you’re feeling that need for a shift, but let’s use bangs as the metaphor here.
I feel like fall especially is the time when we feel the itch to mix it up, because we’re so close to the end of the year. But instead of giving in to the urge to get bangs, I want to sort out a few “healthier” options to scratching the itch. Because speaking from personal experience, rash decisions can make the situation even harder, especially if you aren’t great with a pair of scissors. Keep this list handy for the next time you’re feeling like you need to breathe some new life into your routine.
- Update Your Skincare Routine: A few new products can make you feel like a whole new woman…trust.
- Clean Out Your Closet: This is one of my favorite things to do when I need to redirect that restless energy. Play toss or keep with your closet and donate what you don’t love to the closest women’s shelter.
- Build a New Capsule Wardrobe: Each season is a great time to update your wardrobe. Building a capsule wardrobe helps remove clutter, both physically and mentally.
- Challenge Yourself: Whole30 and those 60-day detox plans are great and all, but start small if you’re feeling like you need a change. We like a good 7-day challenge that helps make small changes in a more digestible way.
- Take a (Budget-Friendly) Weekend Getaway: It’s amazing what 48 hours in a new setting can do to refresh your mindset.
- Take a Mental Health Day: Because you deserve it, dammit.
- Makeover Your Bedroom (For Under $100!): Small changes, with a big impact, that don’t cost a lot of money are definitely the way to go.
- Throw a Garden Party: Or indoor dinner party, depending on the season. But a small gathering around the dinner table with some of your best girls can’t be beat. Plus, it will give you something to do to plan it instead of chopping your hair.
- Explore a New Hobby: Dancing, weaving, cooking, try something new you haven’t tried before. I took a six-week watercolor course after my first major breakup. I was terrible at it, but it was one of the best things I’d done for myself in a long time.
- Do Something for Someone Else: Whenever you’re feeling down, impatient, or restless, do something for someone else. A random act of kindness, volunteer, donate, anything you can do to help someone in need. You don’t need to post about your deed on Instagram either. Just do it for you and enjoy the warm fuzzies that come from helping someone else.
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌