Here at GG, we love a good beauty hack. We especially love a beauty hack that doesn’t cost anything. With a little creativity and some common household products, you can hack your way to better skin and better hair. Read on for some of our favorite $0 beauty hacks.
#1 – Inversions for hair growth
If your hair could use a boost, try flipping upside down. No, seriously.
- Apply a few drops of oil (argan, coconut, etc.) to your hair, focusing on the scalp, and then comb through to the ends.
- Gently massage your scalp with your fingers, using a circular motion and alternating between clockwise and counterclockwise for about 4 minutes.
Second, hang your head upside down to increase blood to flow to your scalp:
- Sit on a chair with your knees apart and hang your head down below your heart, flipping all of your hair forward so it’s hanging upside down.
- Hold this position for 4 minutes. If you begin to feel dizzy, weak or any other discomfort, stop. Slowly sit up to avoid dizziness.
- Wash your hair thoroughly to remove all of the oil.
- Repeat daily for one week each month.
The basic belief of this method is that when used on a regular basis, the blood flow encourages hair growth by stimulating the follicles. There’s no scientific proof this method works, but plenty of people swear by it. Unless you’re pregnant or have an underlying health condition, why not give it a shot?
#2 – Create an at-home steam
If you miss going to the spa or getting a regular facial, try this at-home steaming technique for healthy skin. Simply boil water, transfer to a large bowl and drape a towel over your head for a luxury experience. You can even add in some dried flowers or bags of chamomile tea to take it to the next level. The result? Baby soft skin.
#3 – Get glam lashes fast
All you need for this simple hack is your eyelash curler and a hair dryer. Turn the heat on that dryer, and warm up your curler for around 5 seconds. This helps your lashes stay curled longer. Of course, be sure to blow on the metal curler before applying to lashes to avoid burning yourself! This trick also works if you have coarse lashes that won’t curl easily.
#4 – Change your sleep habits
Are you prone to swollen, puffy eyes in the a.m.? This simple change to your snoozing habits might be a game changer: add an extra pillow and sleep on your back. Doing so will help fluids drain more easily and prevent a puffy face and eyes.
#5 – Get those perfectly “undone” locks
If you have medium-length or long hair, a great cheat is to blow-dry your hair before you go to bed and then put it in a loose bun on top of your head. Sleeping in the bun will give your hair a slightly undone finish and will add natural movement that lasts all day.
#6 – Make perfume last longer with Vaseline
Moisturized skin may hold scents better, so rub some Vaseline on your pulse points before you spritz to make your fragrance last longer. Try adding a dab to your wrists, inner elbows, back of the knees and the neck.