Well, it’s 2021, but this year is already off to a rough start. Not to be a downer, but I think we’re all feeling the stress and weight of the current month and everything going on in our world. Add a decent amount of morning sickness on top of that and it has been a hard month. But there are still always those bright spots that I like to cling to. This month, it has truly been about searching out those flashes of delight. My January favorites are an ode to those hidden gems, those tiny findings that might seem insignificant or trite, but have infused some much-needed joy into my days.
- Pro Science Pro Dolly Sweatshirt: I’m not sure I’ve ever ordered something so fast when the preorders when live for this sweatshirt, and it finally arrived this month. I’ve been wearing it daily, and it brings me so much joy. Not only is it cozy, but who doesn’t want to flaunt their love and devotion for Dolly?!
- Hélène Delmaire: I’ve really been loving this moody, ethereal French artist this month. If Virginia Woolf or Sylvia Plath were modern painters, this is what I imagine their work would look like.
- David Bowie & Flowers: This project combines two things very near and dear to my heart; David Bowie and flowers. I love how the artist pairs famous and obscure portraits of Bowie with corresponding flowers. It speaks to me.
- Dionne Warwick’s Twitter: I have so many old Dionne Warwick albums, so imagine my delight when her very first tweet popped up on my timeline:
Hi, @chancetherapper. If you are very obviously a rapper why did you put it in your stage name? I cannot stop thinking about this.
— Dionne Warwick (@dionnewarwick) December 5, 2020
The joy was almost too much to bear. Her twitter account has been a bright spot in my day ever since. She’s a crack-up.
- Homesick for Another World: Stories by Ottessa Moshfegh: Taylor sent me this book in a care package recently, and I ended up loving it. I’m not nearly as into short stories and essays as Taylor is, but I just can’t get enough of Moshfegh’s dark, quirky writing.
- Treat People With Kindness: Honestly, everything Harry Styles does is a delight, and it’s like he knew we needed this video to kick off the new year. Watching him dance with Phoebe Waller-Bridge makes me smile and is such a pick-me-up.
- “Derry Girls”: I am one of those weird people who doesn’t watch much TV, but after I completed my 2020 reading challenge, I was feeling a bit burnt out, so I’ve been watching an episode or two at night before bed. My husband introduced me to “Derry Girls” on Netflix and it’s so funny. I love the entire cast and it has been a nice nightly escape.