Christmas Morning Biscuits from Buttercream Bakeshop
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 ½ cup crème fraîche
- 1/2 cup milk
- 5 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch dices and chilled
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Maldon salt, for sprinkling
1) In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolk, crème fraîche and milk. In a large bowl, combine 5 cups of flour with sugar, baking powder and kosher salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 butter knives, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add egg mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until dough is evenly moistened. Gather dough into a ball and knead 2 or 3 times, just until it comes together.
2) Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and dust them with flour. Transfer dough to one of the baking sheets and press it into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour (and up to overnight).
3) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Transfer dough to a floured work surface, and roll it out until it’s about a 1-inch-thick square. Fold the square in half and roll it out again to about a 1-inch thickness. Repeat this folding and rolling process once more. Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter, stamp out as many biscuits as possible. Gather the scraps, re-roll the remaining dough and stamp out more biscuits.
4) Evenly space the biscuits on the lined baking sheets. Brush the tops with cream and sprinkle with Maldon salt. Bake in the upper and lower thirds of oven for about 15–18 minutes (depending on the oven), until biscuits are golden and soft but baked through. At the halfway mark, shift the baking sheets from top to bottom and front to back. Serve biscuits warm.