Our contributor, Erin Sousa, whipped up the prettiest pink DIY dresser, and she’s sharing all of the IKEA hack details below!
I love a good IKEA hack, and this IKEA dresser made for the perfect canvas to work with. The raw wood is easy to paint, and the simple lines of the dresser lend well to creating a personal work of art. All you need is some chalk paint, knobs and some fun drawer liners! This dresser is the perfect addition to a bedroom—the pop of color is so fun and playful. So, get your DIY on, and let’s create something fun!
What You Need:
- IKEA TARVA Dresser
- One pint of The FAT Paint Company Chalk-Style Paint, in Juno
- The FAT Paint Company Beeswax Polish
- Paint brush
- Sanding sponge
- Soft cloth
- Drawer knobs or pulls
- Drawer lining paper
- Start by removing the drawer knobs and cleaning the dresser, if necessary. Because my dresser is FOOTB (fresh outta the box!), I know it’s clean, but if you have an older piece, you’ll want to wipe it down with a water and vinegar mix to remove anything that may interfere with the paint’s ability to stick to the surface.
- Next, start painting the dresser! A good quality chalk paint like the one I’m using by The FAT Paint Company will glide on smoothly. Use two coats, letting the paint dry for about 20 minutes between your layers.
- Wait for the two layers of paint to dry overnight, and then sand the entire dresser with your sanding sponge to smooth out your chalk paint. Because this is a more modern look, avoid sanding the corners, which will create a distressed feel. Wipe clean with a soft cloth to remove the dust.
- Using a clean soft, lint-free cloth, wax the dresser to seal it and to add a lustrous finish. A little goes a long way, so spread it out nicely, rubbing it in with a little pressure. I used a natural clear wax because I was going for a modern look, but using a patina wax for a more aged feel can be pretty when combined with more aggressive sanding (as referenced in step 3).
- Grab another clean soft cloth, and buff out the wax for that subtle sheen.
- Replace knobs with something special—I love these raw quartz knobs to really add some style and luxury to the piece.
- Line the drawers with a fun paper—wrapping paper and wallpaper make excellent options! Simply cut the paper to size, and use a spray adhesive to glue it down into the drawer.
- Drawer pulls: The Cross Decor & Design
- Framed print: Rothman & Co.
- Pink rug: Rothman & Co.
- Shoes: Kate Spade New York Charm Heels
- Flowers: Flower Factory
- Gold pouf: Lulu & Georgia
- Gold pineapple: Design Darling
Loved this post?
Subscribe to Glitter Guide to receive the latest blog posts, creativity resources and shopping recommendations delivered straight to your inbox each Sunday 💌