Hair can seem impossible to tame in the summer because of the hot temperatures and humidity, but we are here to help you say “goodbye” to frizzy hair this summer. Glitter Guide contributor, Caylee Ashwell, is offering five tips that are sure to help keep your hair looking shiny and smooth no matter the weather.
Summer’s hot temperatures and high humidity can give even the straightest of hair a run for its money. It’s the season of frizzy-hair foes, but we’re here to bring chic and sleek back to your beauty routine for your best summer hair yet! While occasional poofy hair days are inevitable, keep them at bay by following some of our tips:
- Add a deep conditioner to your weekly routine. If there’s one tip to take with you, it’s this one! Frizz happens when hair is dehydrated. It searches for moisture anywhere it can get it (aka the sticky air on your morning walk to work). By drenching it in a nutrient-rich deep conditioner (Moroccan Oil Intense Hydrating Mask, $16), your hair’s less likely to look for hydration elsewhere.
- Turn down the water temp. Cool off on the long, hot showers this summer. When water’s too hot, it strips the hair of moisture and sends your hair into a frizz. A lukewarm temperature is the way to go. Before stepping out, shock your hair with a burst of super cold water. This seals the hair cuticle and prevents unwanted moisture from sneaking its way in.
- Ditch the terry cloth towel. Wrapping your hair up in your towel after you shower is a huge faux pas. The material is too rough, which causes friction on your strands. Opt to use a soft jersey hair towel (Breezy Tee, $18.49) instead. If you have an old cotton T-shirt laying around, that works just the same!
- Wide-tooth comb and detangle. Wet hair is fragile and needs to be treated as such. Before combing, spray a leave-in conditioner (Briogeo Rosarco Milk, $20) through your ends to soften them up. Then use a wide-tooth comb (The Body Shop Detangling Comb, $7) to detangle your hair, working from the ends to the scalp. This prevents breakage and preps hair for styling.
- Invest in a professional hairdryer. All of the above go out the door if you have a subpar hairdryer. Trust us, dishing out a little more dough for a nice, high-quality dryer will benefit you immensely in the long run. A powerful motor helps dry hair faster, meaning less time under the heat! We trust Drybar’s Buttercup Blowdryer ($195) to keep our hair sleek and smooth.